One of the oldest clubs in the state, the Knoxville Squares began in the late 1950’s and was actually divided into four clubs known as the North, South, East and West clubs of the Knoxville Square Dance Association. The city of Knoxville leased us a building on Jessamine St. for 42 years, but in 2002 the city reclaimed the building as a part of their inter-city renewal. On April 20, 2002, our 42nd Annual Dogwood Dance was our last dance at the Jessamine location. Nasser Shukayr was our guest caller, Beverly Casteel cued the round dancing and Jack Sharp, Vice Mayor of Knoxville was guest speaker for this special and final dance. Today there is a new, modern YMCA standing in the location of our previous home.
Following the peak years of square dancing in the 1960-70’s attendance in each of the four clubs began to dwindle and eventually all four clubs were consolidated into one club. Following the closing of the Jessamine Center we elected to move our dances to the Square Dance Center on Tulip Avenue. With the help of many area dancers, we salvaged the dance floor at the Jessamine location and it was installed upstairs at Tulip Avenue. This floor was later named the “Jeanette Morrison Pratt Floor” in memory of a very dedicated Knoxville Square member.
Knoxville Squares are active members of both the State Association of Square and Round Dance Clubs and the Council of East TN Square and Round Dance Clubs.
We are conveniently located in the downtown area and just off Interstate 40/75 and we welcome visitors. We normally dance the first, second and fifth Saturday nights, but we do cancel our dances on occasion in order to attend special functions of other clubs, so be sure to check our schedule page.
R.G. Pratt | (865) 947-3238 (email@example.com)
Larry Dunkel (865) 256-2538 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer: Scott Goss
Recording Secretary: Mary Roberts
Barbara Shelton, Royce Pratt and Charlie Price